Helping a media company prevent a ransomware attack
Ransomware (or malware) is malicious software that can take over your computer and prevent you from accessing your data. During the attack, the hacker may ask for a ransom from the company, promising — not always truthfully — to restore access to their data when they receive their exact demand.
A mid-sized Media Company in the Midwest contacted ESHA IT because they became concerned about other companies in their industry falling victims to ransomware attacks. After meeting with them, we decided the best solution would be to perform a risk assessment of their IT infrastructure with a specific focus around ransomware attacks. The assessment would assess their risks of exposure and allow them to find gaps that would allow a ransomware attack.
- Security testing – vulnerability scan, external penetration testing, and phishing exercises
- Conducted IT process reviews with the internal team
- Conducted phone phishing exercises on specific employees to make them aware of phone scams.
- Executed multiple email phishing campaigns on employees to encourage email security awareness.
- Performed vulnerability scans and penetration testing
- Reviewed and tested their backup process
- Based on phishing results, we advised the client on ways that their employees can improve their security awareness. They were made aware of sophisticated attack techniques, designed to fool employees.
- We identified several security issues that could have put their business at risk for data loss, financial fraud, and loss of customers.
A Seamless Project Implementation
The customer was relieved that the vulnerabilities was found by us instead of a hacker. It would have been very costly to them if they experienced a ransomware attack. We continue to work with them on other security and compliance projects that is strengthening their security.
Our Security experts have helped companies of all sizes secure their network and prevent ransomware attacks. Contact us today and we can help you improve your cybersecurity.